Saturday, August 6, 2011

July 11, 2011

Hey Mom and Dad!

How are you doing? I'm sure it will be sorta weird to have the house to yourselves this week, but it will probably be a little bit of a nice break. I hope that Curtis and Parker have an awesome time and get a lot done up at Bear Lake Scout Camp. :)

It's still so weird to me how much stuff is already changing without me there! With Dad moving to Hunter High and taking over all the complaints from all the teachers about their computers "not working" and Mom not working at Farnsworth Elementary anymore. Time seems to be going by so quickly but stands still when you think about it. For example, especially this week has seemed to just crawl by. I have had a bit of a sore throat and had to take a day off on Saturday and so time seems so slow because we haven't really got moving at full speed again yet. But then I realized last night that in like five weeks I'll be a quarter of the way done with my mission. Crazy isn't it?

That's so exciting that Tessa's mom went through the Temple the other day! It's so exciting when people finally make it to that point. Our newest investigator Ibrahim (who's going to be baptized on Sunday) is already looking forward to a year from now when he can go through the temple and hopefully serve a mission. It's really such a testimony that the Lord is preparing people before they meet the missionaries. Not too long ago, his Father died which really enabled him to be more in tune with the Spirit. When things like that happen, people really either turn farther away from God or it brings them closer. Luckily it was the latter for him. A couple weeks ago he decided that it was time to move out of his home and start his life on his own. I think it was a little crazy (and he admits it probably was too), but he just packed up, went the the train station and took the first train he found and it brought him to Lyon. Just a few days later, he was contacted by some missionaries, and two days following he had begun reading from the Book of Mormon, received an answer, and accepted the invitation to be baptized. Unfortunately, he already has some tough trials right ahead because he doesn't know where he's going to be living after the 19th and finding a job is so difficult here.

Speaking of that, I've decided that I think I've found what one of the hardest parts of being a missionary is. When you meet someone who is ready for the gospel, and has felt the Spirit, but due to worldly/temporal/usually financial reasons, doesn't/can't progress. For example, while we were on the train home from a member visit this last Friday, there was a girl who came and started talking to us. The conversation turned into us talking about how we can repent and find peace and happiness even though we have sinned. She was talking about the feelings of guilt and depression and fear because she has done bad things in her life. It was so cool to watch her just eat up the words of the Book of Mormon. She obviously felt the Spirit but unfortunately, the train ride ended and because she doesn't have a permanent address or telephone number, we'll probably never see or hear from her again. So even though it's incredible to be able to share a message of hope and happiness with a random girl, it's too bad that we don't have any way to contact her to try to give her more.

Anyway. Things are moving along great here. Our weeks just keep looking better and better...and so I'm starting to fear that it's just about time for me to get transferred. But we shall see...

Are there any plans for any vacations or anything fun this summer as a family? What are you spending most of your time doing these days? Please let everyone know I'm always thinking and praying about them!

I hope you both know how much you mean to me. I really am so thankful to Heavenly Father for placing me in your family. I am always praying for you and can feel your prayers. I love you so much!

much love,
Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment